Remember your prom experience?
While some things have changed, other pressures are exactly the same.
Many adolescents go to the prom with someone they don’t know well, or know only as a classmate or friend. And, since most prom activities are often un-chaperoned, many teens may feel pressured to engage in inappropriate behavior with their prom date.
Many teens will use alcohol and/or drugs to cope with the stresses they face during prom night. In addition, the use of these substances can cause relaxation, loss of inhibitions and altered perceptions. It can also cause them to make questionable choices and get involved in other behaviors that put their health and safety at risk.
Download the brochure and fact sheet for more information:
2017 Prom Brochure ENGLISH
2017 Prom Brochure SPANISH
2017 Prom Night Fact Sheet ENGLISH
2017 Prom Night Fact Sheet – SPANISH
What every parent can do before, during, and after prom:
- Throughout the year, get educated about the current drug trends in your community
- Talk to the guidance personnel at your school or Student Assistance Counselor
- Gain a perspective from Parent Teacher Association (PTA) representatives
- Attend educational workshops that address the issues young people face with and alcohol and other drug use
- Continue to discuss the dangers of adolescent drinking and drug use
- Pinpoint medical emergencies, such as alcohol poisoning
- Reinforce that they should get help if a friend is in trouble
- Stress that they should tell an adult immediately if someone has lost consciousness
- If they are hesitant to notify an adult, tell them to call POISON Control for anonymous advice:
At least one week prior to the prom
Talk to your son or daughter:
- Reinforce that you love your teen, and that your primary concern is their safety
- Ask your teenager if he/she has any concerns or apprehensions about prom night
- Ask if there are any post prom celebrations that have been planned
- Reassure your teenager that you understand prom night pressures and fears and talk about them
- Ask your teen to think about these issues and indicate that you would like to continue the discussion
On Prom Night
When the limousine or party van arrives:
- Speak directly to the driver and discuss your expectations for an alcohol and drug-free ride
- Inspect the limo, including the trunk too to ensure it is drug and alcohol free
- Do not allow non-alcoholic beverages in the limousine if the seal has been broken or the beverage has been opened
- Emphasize to the driver that you do not want any stops made on the way to or from the prom